My name is Honza Dvorsky and I’m a Senior Software Engineer at Apple. I studied MSc in Advanced Computing at King’s College London, BSc Robotics at CTU Prague, created a few open source projects in my free time and I helped build SwiftKey for iOS.
I swim, play basketball, travel, write and speak, gradually more about ecology, social justice and human rights.
🎭 Conferences, meetups and podcasts I’ve spoken at:
- E15: New Technology - Tesla (🇨🇿) - Dec 2020, Czech Republic
- WWDC 2019: Getting Started with Xcode - Jun 2019, WWDC, San Jose, CA, USA
- E15 & Info.cz: Smart Future (🇨🇿) - Oct 2018, Prague, Czech Republic
- RedBull’s “Tvoje Role” (🇨🇿) - Sep 2018, Prague, Czech Republic
- WWDC 2018: What’s New in Testing - Jun 2018, WWDC, San Jose, CA, USA
- WWDC 2017: What’s New in Testing - Jun 2017, WWDC, San Jose, CA, USA
- Swift Package Manager - Sep 2016, mDevTalk, Prague, Czech Republic
- Swift Package Manager - Jun 2016, NSLondon, London, UK
- Custom Keyboards - Sep 2015, iOSDevUK, Aberystwyth, Wales
- Continuous Integration on the Edge - May 2015, NSLondon, London, UK
📱 Open Source Software Projects I’ve created:
- Buildasaur (Swift) - Automatic testing of your Pull Requests on GitHub and BitBucket using Xcode Server. Keep your team productive and safe. Get up and running in minutes. Used by hundreds of teams and individuals, including large, well-known companies.
- Socks (Swift) - Pure-Swift Sockets: TCP, UDP; Client, Server; Linux, OS X.
- Redbird (Swift) - Pure-Swift implementation of a Redis client from the original protocol spec. OS X + Linux compatible.
- Jay (Swift) - Pure-Swift JSON parser & formatter. Linux & OS X ready.
- many more
- I handed over all my open source projects before joining Apple
- I’ve also contributed to larger open source projects e.g. Vapor, Zewo and Swift Package Manager.
👔 Companies I’ve worked at:
Apple (Czech Republic / Cupertino, CA, USA) - Senior Software Engineer - 10/2016-now
SwiftKey (London, UK) - iOS Developer - 01/2014-09/2015
- My Role: iOS Developer helping build the most popular 3rd party keyboard, SwiftKey for iOS, which reached #1 Free App in the US App Store in September 2014 with over one million downloads in the first 24 hours. It was later selected by Apple as one of the Best Apps of 2014 on the App Store. The Verge rated us as the only keyboard better than the built-in system keyboard on iOS.
- My Responsibilities: code architecture, OpenGL rendering for SwiftKey Flow, continuous integration stack, unit & functional testing stack, memory analysis & optimization, implementation of several keyboard features, complex multithreading & synchronization and more.
- I also narrated our Christmas video.
Acrobits (Prague, Czech Rep.) - iOS Developer - 08/2011-12/2013
- My Role: iOS Developer creating an innovative iPad interface for Acrobits Softphone, the market-leading SIP VoIP mobile client.
- My Responsibilities: coming up with the iPad interface, working with a designer, implementing the whole app.
🎓 Schools I’ve attended:
- King’s College London, Department of Informatics, UK, 2015-2016
- Czech Technical University, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Prague, Czech Republic - 2010-2013
- Degree: Bachelor’s Degree in Robotics
- Episcopal Academy, Merion, PA, USA - 2007-2008
- Gymnazium Sumperk, Czech Republic - 2006-2010
📰 Notable Articles I’ve written:
- Under the Hood of Xcode Server - what I’ve found after months of digging inside of Xcode Server, because I wanted to integrate a tool with it. Featured in iOSDevWeekly, on the front page of Hacker News and in iOSBytes podcast.
- Xcode Server Tutorials - Multi-part series: step by step from installing Xcode Server to having an advanced continuous integration and deployment setup with Xcode Server. First article published in August 2015. Featured in iOSDevWeekly.
👾 Artificial Intelligence Projects I’ve created:
- HyperGP - Using genetic programming of neural networks to teach robots how to walk without any prior knowledge of what the robot looks like. Implemented in C++, I wrote a paper on the algorithm used (click for pretty videos of walking robots).